> I suspect this would be easier for users and could likely be made more
> secure. However, I have no idea how this would be implemented. The
> mediawiki language seems to aim to remove as much direct html use as
> possible.

Our students use Jmol Mediawiki extensively. We have come up against
the lack of a proper XML validator in mediawiki, which means that the
more "XML" one asks the students to insert, the greater the chance of
XML errors.  I am increasingly having to cope with  the student's work
disappearing,  to be replaced by a bald  XMR error message instead.
Gaining access to the history file to revert is also not entirely
trivial. One can imagine what would happen if Wikipedia pages started
to vanish in a similar manner (and of course, it could be done
maliciously as well as accidentally).  Does Wikipedia have a bot that
can automatically undo these sorts of errors (the XML corruption is
often such that repair is out of the question)?