> "a) Java allows malicious activity that could damage the system"

"Letting users use the computer allows malicious activity that could
damage the system"  ;-)
And, does this mean that Flash is foolproof?

> "b) Java is an outmoded way to provide educational resources as everyone
> is using Flash now"

Outmoded? A software that's being updated every month or so...  I
would'n dare to say that.
And the key is: can Flash do what the Java applets do? I don't mean
only Jmol.

Everyone? Everyone is using Flash now to substitute html on their
pages. Does that mean that html is outmoded?

Open source vs. proprietary, of course

Whoever is deciding the (no) installation is rather short-sighted.
One has to consider the functionality, not make generalizations based
on ... what evidence?