>I would therefore advocate making this option as easy as possible to use
>within Jmol.  In my view, interactive 3D pdf figures should really be the rule
>rather than the exception in scientific publishing, and Jmol could lead the
>way.

Publishers are likely to love  interactive PDF, since it is easy to archive.
However,  I find one serious issue; such objects are <<data impoverished>>.
Whereas with  Jmol, one is obliged to provide semantically accurate data (for
example  CML or equivalent),  the PDF  object is simply a  (pre)rendering of
that data. Thus reconstituting a useful molecule from  Jmol is trivial (and
that reconstitution can then be used for many other purposes), reconstituting a
molecule from a  3D PDF  is likely to be non trivial, and will almost certainly
suffer information loss compared to the original data. By all means, provide
BOTH, but I strongly urge that a  3D PDF should  NOT be the  ONLY object
provided.  Apart from all these considerations,  I can just imagine how
publishers would treat the copyright aspects. For example, a  publisher CANNOT
claim copyright for a  Jmol model, since it is basically data, which cannot be
copyrighted.  But just as they do with  2D images,  I should imagine publishers
will be falling over themselves to claim copyright for a  3D PDF, since it is
intrinsically  not data, but in effect  <<art>> (and this can be copyrighted).

So please, whilst  3D PDF may well have its uses (in 1994 for example, I was a
strong advocate of  VRML), let  us not loose sight of the more fundamental
object, which is the data model.
--

+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); FOAF: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/rzepa.xrdf
 Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College London, SW7  2AZ, UK.

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).