Sorry for the possible confusion, I see that the date of the latest
file in Bob's site is 14 Jan, but the popup menu reports 12 Jan.

A better idea: I remembered about one of Bob's tricks: you can view
any Jmol webpage using any version of the applet.
This is documented at
http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php?title=Backward_compatibility#Testing_di
fferent_applet_versions

So I tried the page that started all this discussion using Bob's
latest applet:
http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/jssample2/?JMOLJAR=http://chemapps.st
olaf.edu/jmol/docs/examples-11/JmolApplet0.jar

It works. Now try yours