You have a point, Rich, but what kind of options could we have for nonprotein
molecules?
There is select by element and by symmetry already. The list of selectable
elements could
be certainly expanded (ideally, to cover all elements present in the model, as
it is done for
amino acids).

The whole business of residue name and chemical nature is tied to proteins and
nucleic
acids.

The atom expressions are documented at http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/AtomSets

I am going to collect bits of thought and proposals at a new
http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/AtomSets/Popup_Menu

please, feel free to add any comments there (maybe in the Talk page if you
don't want to
insert actual content)