Eric, here's the scoop.

There are a few undocumented features of quit and exit, and yes, there was a
change there. (That we can certainly undo.)

Right now:

from the command line:

"exit" clears he script queue, stops all processes, including scripts,
spinning, and minimization.
"quit" stops any currently running script and also stops minimization.
"!exit" does the same
"!quit" does the same

at the beginning of a script:

"exit" stops all processes and stops spinning (that last, I think, is a
bug).
"quit" stops the currently running script and clears the script queue.
"!exit" clears the script queue, stops all processes, including scripts,
spinning, and minimization, and then runs the script.
"!quit" stops any currently running scripts, stops minimization, and then
runs the script.

anywhere else within a script:

"exit" clears all pending scripts and then exits the current script.
"quit" or "return" just exits the currently running script and continues
others that are pending. But I think there might be a bug there with "quit"
if it occurs within a for or while loop AND the script is being called by
another script file.

I need to test that.

I propose the following -- script or command line:

"exit" stops all scripts and clears the script queue.
"quit" stops the currently running script.
"!exit" clears the script queue, stops all processes, including scripts,
spinning, and minimization.
"!quit" stops any currently running scripts, stops spinning, and stops
minimization.

What do you think?

Bob

ps. Why would you want the toggle spin on/off to also clear the script
queue, by the way? Wouldn't it be better just to use

!show spin

or if you want to use the newer method:

!if(_spinning){spin off} else {spin on}

so that you are interrupting any currently running script but not wiping it
out?

1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900