An interesting observation --

RasMol uses a "DSSP" method of calculating double bonds without actually
doing the DSSP calculation. What that does is -- it seems to me --
improperly assign hydrogen bonds. If you read the DSSP paper carefully, you
see that although the same calculation is presented there for hydrogen bond
detection as used in RasMol (well, ALMOST the same...) the intent is to
define sheet and helix structure, not to correctly identify all hydrogen
bonds. Kabsch and Sander were purposely and explicitly generous in their
assignments.

It seems to me a smarter idea would be to use the DSSP algorithm to select
only the defining hydrogen bonds that are used to identify helix, turn, and
bridge positions.

Also, for the record, RasMol does not identify inter-chain hydrogen bonds,
which is also a bug, as far as I can tell -- or at least a misreading of the
DSSP paper.

Here's a comparison:

Rasmol: http://stolaf.edu/people/hansonr/jmol/1gua-rasmol.png
Jmol (with DSSP): http://stolaf.edu/people/hansonr/jmol/1gua-jmol.png

The bonds in the Jmol version are colored by type (antiparallel white and
parallel cyan)

Comments?

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900