I think I've cracked it:

If I use RANGE as part of the ISOSURFACE command, it seems to have no effect
load $caffeine
calculate partialCharge
isosurface vdw map mep color range -1.0 1.0
isosurface vdw map mep color range -0.1 0.1

but after that I can modify the color gradient with the COLOR command:
color isosurface range -1.0 1.0
color isosurface range -0.1 0.1
color isosurface range -0.1 0.0
color isosurface range  0.0 0.1

This work-around works for me, but either RANGE should be allowed as part
of ISOSURFACE
or the documentation should be updated to refer to COLOR ISOSURFACE RANGE
x.xxx y.yyy

Still I think an option to let Jmol generate a legend for the applied
gradient would be a nice feature.

Oliver