Good suggestions. A few comments....

Performance will be the issue, for sure. No WebGL on the iPhone, iPad, or
Android tablet, so that won't help there. And there will always be WebGL
compromises even if we do get that working. I think you can forget
translucent surfaces with WebGL. It's not that WebGL can't do it, it's that
WebGL requires a lot of preprocessing just to get roughly translucent
objects.

The iPhone and iPad are highly compromised anyway in terms of raw power,
especially without Java. If you intend your page to work on those, I
suggest turning off antialiasing and as much as possible staying away from
translucent objects. A page intended for those devices has to be specially
designed anyway. You shouldn't expect a standard web page to be useful on
an iPhone. Maybe an iPad....

Size of the window, as with Jmol/Java, will have an impact. Smaller is
better; larger requires more processing.

Multitouch capability -- This is coming.  It should be possible, certainly.
I just haven't experimented at all with it.

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900