Hello again

I suspect this is an issue of different terminology, but the functionality you
ask for is likely there.

Some pointers:
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/#atomexpressionsfunctions

see WITHIN  SEQUENCE
e.g.
select within("PGATG",*) //would select all atoms in that peptide sequence

> My work entails using the CHARMM simulation software where one of the ways to
> select a portion
> of the protein molecule entails using the "segid" command: e.g. select segid
> PROA .and. .not.
> resname TIP3). There is a similar issue with Amber software tools as well.

Q: where is this PROA defined?

> In addition, VMD, PyMol, and PDB format all allow selection on the segid
> keyword.

PDB is not a software -- what do you mean it allows selection?

Jmol can also select segments of secondary structure, by number (order). I
don't remember the syntax, but I'm quite sure I've seen it.

Ah, there it is!  Try this:
load =1crn;
show structure; // see the result in the console
trace only;
color trace group;
selectionHalos on; //for better display
select strucno=1;
select strucno=2;
select strucno=3;
select strucno=4;

documented at
http://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/#atomproperties
under "strucno"

> canonical selection rules that coincide with the PDB formatting style.

Again, where are those segments defined in the PDB file?