PNGJ is not designed to save any settings other than those that are
specifically necessary to define a state. So no user variables, no overall
preferences. You could save a "message" in the state by using the message
command, I suppose, but that would have to be a message that was visible to
the user. Oh, and perhaps in some relatively unused variable such as

set nmrpredictformat "testing messages here"

This would be human- or machine-readable in the state associated with the
PNGJ file if reopened by Jmol.

Although, come to think of it, I think I will remove that from the state.
So don't consider this method supported!

Bob

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Alexander Rose <alexander.r...@weirdbyte.de
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am also quite interested in that.
>
> > Can I save my app's private UI state (preferences, etc) as a variable
> > or static function in JSmol so that PNGJ will write it to the .png
> > file?
>
> As far as I know user defined variables or functions (from jmolscript)
> are not saved within the Jmol state.
>
> The idea I have in the back of my mind is to use a file format Jmol
> understands
> and have my data (your private state) piggybacking in that file. May be as
> comment in some file or in a jmol script file. Though I have not tried
> anything
> yet.
>
> I would welcome a solution supported by Jmol itself.
>
> > (I can imagine the user saving the PNGJ .png file to (say) a Google
> > Drive repository.)
> >
> > Can I get the PNGJ output as as a JSON object to save in browser's
> > localStorage and use with a Jmol script "load ..."?
> > (I can imagine using the browser's localStorage as a way for the user
> > to pick up working on something that hadn't yet been saved to (say)
> > the Google Drive repository.
> >

> Apparently you can save blobs in localStorage [1]. YOu can of course also
> save your private state in localStorage along side of the PNGJ but then you
> do not have everything in a self-contained file.
>

> Best
> Alexander
>

> [1]
> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/02/saving-images-and-files-in-localstorage/

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900