Stephan,

Yes, absolutely. Everything you can do with scripts you can do without any
graphical interface at all. The program to run is JmolData.jar. It is
completely "headless" and is designed for doing exactly what you describe.
(You can do the same with Jmol.jar or JmolData.jar, but JmolData.jar is
faster because it doesn't have any graphics system overhead.)

You basically send it a script, and it does its work and exits. The DOS
batch file I use for it is named JmolData.bat and looks like this:

@echo off
java -Xmx512m -jar "..\workspace\jmol\build\JmolData.jar" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
%7 %8 %9

So then if I type

JmolData -h

I get the help info:

usage: Jmol
 -o,--noconsole               no console -- all output to sysout
 -c,--check                   check script syntax only - no file loading
 -k,--kiosk                   kiosk mode -- no frame
 -C,--checkload               check script syntax only - with file loading
 -s,--script                  script file to execute or '-' for System.in
 -q,--quality                 JPG image quality (1-100; default 75) or PNG
                              image compression (0-9; default 2, maximum
compression 9)
 -g,--geometry                window width x height, e.g. -g500x500
 -p,--printOnly               send only output from print messages to
                              console (implies -i)
 -x,--exit                    exit after script (implicit with -n)
 -j,--jmolscript2             Jmol script to execute AFTER -s option
 -J,--jmolscript1             Jmol script to execute BEFORE -s option
 -P,--port                    port for JSON/MolecularPlayground-style
                              communication
 -D <property=value>          supported options are given below
 -I,--input                   allow piping of input from System.Input
 -L,--nosplash                start with no splash screen
 -M,--multitouch              use multitouch interface (requires
                              "sparshui" parameter
 -R,--restricted              restrict local file access
 -T,--headlessmaxtime         headless max time (sec)
 -b,--backgroundtransparent   transparent background
 -d,--debug                   debug
 -h,--help                    give this help page
 -i,--silent                  silent startup operation
 -l,--list                    list commands during script execution
 -m,--menu                    menu file to use
 -n,--nodisplay               no display (and also exit when done)
 -r,--restrictSpt             restrict local file access (allow reading of
                              SPT files)
 -t,--threaded                independent command thread
 -w,--write                   CLIP or GIF|JPG|JPG64|PNG|PPM:filename

For example:

Jmol -ions myscript.spt -w JPEG:myfile.jpg > output.txt

The -D options are as follows (defaults in parenthesis) and must be called
preceding '-jar Jmol.jar':

  cdk.debugging=[true|false] (false)
  cdk.debug.stdout=[true|false] (false)
  display.speed=[fps|ms] (ms)
  logger.debug=[true|false] (false)
  logger.error=[true|false] (true)
  logger.fatal=[true|false] (true)
  logger.info=[true|false] (true)
  logger.logLevel=[true|false] (false)
  logger.warn=[true|false] (true)
  plugin.dir (unset)
  user.language=[ca|cs|de|en_GB|en_US|es|fr|hu|it|ko|nl|pt_BR|tr|zh_TW]
(en_US)

(I notice a fault there in that the help refers to "Jmol.jar" even though I
started JmolData.jar.)  Basically this is just Jmol without any graphical
user interface. Everything is the same exactly.

Bob Hanson

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Stephan Pfadenhauer <s...@matcalc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a bash skript to generate movies from xyz files with multiple
> frames. I'm using Jmol for rotation, deleting of bonds and coloring
> atoms with a skript and generating a pov file. Is there a possibility of
> using the Jmol comandline only, without the Jmol Window poping up?
>
> Stephan
>

> ---------------------------------------
> AQcomputare GmbH
> Annaberger Strasse 240
>
> 09125 Chemnitz
>
> Telefon:  0371 5347591
> Email:    i...@matcalc.de
> Internet: http://www.matcalc.de
>
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Philipp Plaenitz
>
> Gesellschafter:
>
>     Prof. Dr. Christian Radehaus
>     Dr. Philipp Plaenitz
>
> Amtsgericht Chemnitz: HRB 25386
>
> Diese e-mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschaeftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige
> vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese e-mail irrtuemlich
> erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine
> Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe der e-mail ausdruecklich untersagt. Bitte
> benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene e-mail. Vielen
> Dank.
>
> Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged,
> undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received
> this
> e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or
> distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and
> destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900