I wrote on another thread

> However...
> ...I have another question about JSmol since testing it on all sorts
> of platforms. On the iPad (and other tablet platforms) there is no
> such thing as hover or mouse-over. OK, one has to live with that for
> mouse-over an atom in the structure, but it breaks the JSmol menu. Any
> plans to address that?

[Not really a good idea to change the focus of a thread this way]

Sorry,  I've changed the subject to start a new thread.

>What has hover to do with the mouse menu? But the menu on smaller platforms
>can be a problem because it is not in the style of the device, and it tends
>to run over.
>Clicking on the JSmol logo gets you the menu, but perhaps in a bad
>location.

OK, my experience with the JSmol mouse menu is as  follows:

On the desktop:
1.  Uou click on the JSmol text and get a drop-down menu with
triangles indicating submenus.
2. As your mouse goes over an item, the background changes and the
submenu appears.
3. Finally when you get a menu with no submenus you click on it to
select the choice indicated.

On the iPad (running iOS 8):
1. You tap on the the JSmol text and get the same drop-down menu as before.
2. There is no step 2. If you tap on a menu item, all that happens is
the menu shifts to the side of the screen, but any amount of tapping
fails to produce the submenus.

I do not know how html/css/js menus work. However from my own
experiments with hover and mouseover on different mobile platforms I
suspect that the appearance of the submenu is coded as a css hover
response. If it were a mouseover event it would respond to a tap. Only
on Windows Mobile is there any response to hover, and that is
transient while you hold your finger down.

If I am correct about hover, then I do not see how the JSmenu can work
on mobile devices as coded at present (and it doesn't seem to in my
hands). Hence my question.

David

PS. I previously mounted a page where you can test the response of
mobile devices to hover, mouseover and mouseclick at
http://www.davidleader.net/mobiledemo.html .