I have provided data, methods and detailed conclusions here
*http://proteopedia.org/w/JSmol/Rotation_Speeds*
Briefly I found:

For JSmol (HTML5/javascript) Firefox outperforms Chrome, Opera and Edge by about four-fold.

Safari is as fast as Firefox with JSmol.

Internet Explorer 11 is unusably slow with JSmol, about 9-fold slower than Firefox.

Java is only 1.4-1.8 fold faster in Firefox, but more than 20-fold faster in Internet Explorer.

Curiously, rotating/spinning a spacefilled rendering is twice as fast as a cartoon rendering in Chrome and Opera (but not in Firefox, Edge or Internet Explorer 11).

Thus, in an update I'm preparing for FirstGlance, when using JSmol, Firefox will be recommended, and Internet Explorer will be strongly discouraged. This is a change since mid-2014, when Chrome outperformed Firefox with JSmol.

When using Java, the browser doesn't matter, except that Chrome and Edge don't support Java, and Opera threatens to follow suit.

-Eric