I confirm, there is a problem with access from Safari.

We (RCSB) already know how to fix it, but we'll need a few hours (prob
until tomorrow morning US west coast time) to implement the fix.

The problem has to do with a recent infrastructure change (and CORS). All
file downloads now get redirected to files.rcsb.org, which is a more
scaleable infrastructure than the old location. In the process of this,
support for the "accept gzip encoding" HTTP header has a bug and breaks
Safari right now.  Apologies for the inconvenience. We'll roll out a fix
for this ASAP.

Regarding the problem with http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/software/rest.do . There
has been not change here in a while. I just tested this and it worked fine
for me. Which URL did you query?

Andreas