Bob,

If Resolver does not get a connectivity identifier (e.g. taxol), it relies on
database look up (multi databases, including PubChem). I have no idea what the
priority is, nor what identifier Resolver seeks if it gets a non IUPAC name.
But let’s assume it goes to PubChem and seeks the SMILES. PubChem lists taxol
under paclitaxel, and the paclitaxel listing lists 3D status as, "Conformer
generation is disallowed since too many atoms.” OK, grab the SMILES, go back to
Resolver, and give this SMILES to CORINA, Resolver’s engine.

A few weeks ago we were talking about Jmolers always using Taxol as a test
molecule, so I took the PubChem SMILES and hand entered it into Resolver. If
you give the PubChem taxol SMILES to Resolver, all the king’s horses and all
the kings men cannot put taxol’s ensembles back together again! So, yes, I
guess some limit is in place on Resolver also.

I used to think that PubChem used MMFF94. It came out in Bob Bellford's on line
cheminformatics course that PubChem uses a special version of MMFF94. It would
be interesting to find out what the atom number limits are on PubChem and
Resolver. I’ll check both.

Otis

PS

Bob really had a powerhouse faculty of that course - who’s who of
cheminformatics.

--
Otis Rothenberger
o...@chemagic.org