Hi Pierluigi-

For reasons that I do not fully understand, OPSIN returns InChI - not standard
InChI. It does, however, return standard InChIKey! In general, I’d be very
nervous about comparing InChI strings created by different resources.

In the realm of Chemical Identifiers, molfile and SMILES are native to Jmol.
Recently, Bob added an InChI app that returns standard InChI. It’s REALLY NEAT,
but it’s a bit tricky to use. For “in-house” InChI, Jmol is going to Resolver.
In the realm of Chemical Identifiers, molfile, SMILES, and JMEfile are native
to JSME.

While SMILES from different resources are variant, Bob implemented a process in
Jmol that makes this point irrelevant! Jmol can communicate with JSME,
Resolver, and your database with SMILES. It the latter case, it can compare
SMILES it generates with SMILES in your database even if they were generated
differently.

Other issues to consider: OPSIN sits at the “front door” of Resolver. When you
use Resolver, you are really putting additional power into OPSIN
(https://cactus.nci.nih.gov/blog/?p=1523). Note that OPSIN is perfectly happy
with incorrect IUPAC names (http://opsin.ch.cam.ac.uk/opsin/5-chlorohexane.png)!

So I’m wondering if SMILES would not be a better choice for your comparison
needs? For example:

1) Student draws JSME structure and enters (types) an IUPAC Name.
2) JSME SMILES is loaded into Jmol.
3) Student’s IUPAC Name is sent to Resolver for SMILES. Remember OPSIN at
Resolver gets the 1st shot at reading this IUPAC name. All correctly structured
names will be accepted.
4) Resolver returned SMILES is compared to Jmol SMILES.

Alternatively, and more simply if you are OK with leaving the student grading
out, would be to make JSME do all the work. The act of the student entering
their IUPAC would return the IUPAC name for the JSME SMILES of the structure
they drew. The comparison would be visual. By the way, if you give Resolver
5-chlorohexane, it simply says, “Ahem, I think you meant 2-chlorohexane” Or at
least, you can make it say that!

I can make some code suggestion if you want to go either route.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger
o...@chemagic.org