On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Otis Rothenberger <osrot...@icloud.com>
wrote:

> I’ve hinted at this before, but Pierluigi’s note gives me cause to be
> specific: Let’s not forget PubChem as a source of data other than 3d
> coordinates!
>
> Over the years, Jmol has become research and teaching powerful - no VERY
> powerful. Resolver was a logical partner for Jmol because it is also
> powerful. But let’s not forget PubChem. This is particularly true if your
> teaching interests are like mine: Basic general and organic chemistry small
> molecules. In this small molecule situation, many, if not most, molecules
> of interest are going to be in PubChem. So what? Well for one thing,
> important look-up information is curated in PubChem. This is really what
> Marcus was striving for with his name look-up index help request, and this
> is what resulted in the ill fated Volhardt project conducted by two hacks
> with copies of Volhardt in their hands.
>
> Getting PubChem data (e.g. curated calculated IUPAC names) is fast and
> easy:
>

> http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/rest/pug/compound/smiles/JSON?callback=corsPubChempcdM&smiles=CCOCCC
>
> Parsing is a bit of a hassle,

...I don't think so. JSON is a subset of Jmol scripting.

*$ x =
eval(load("http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/rest/pug/compound/smiles/JSON?callback=corsPubChempcdM&smiles=CCOCCC
<http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/rest/pug/compound/smiles/JSON?callback=corsPubChempcdM&smiles=CCOCCC>"))$
print x.PC_Compounds[1].props.select("(value) where urn.label='IUPAC
name'")..1.sval*
1-ethoxypropane

*$ print x.PC_Compounds[1].props.select("(value) where
urn.label='InChI'")..1.sval*
InChI=1S/C5H12O/c1-3-5-6-4-2/h3-5H2,1-2H3

*$ print
x.PC_Compounds[1].props.select("(urn,value)").select("label,name,fval,sval,ival")*

 {
    "ival"  :  1
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Compound"
    "name"  :  "Canonicalized"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  19.9
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Compound Complexity"
   }
  {
    "ival"  :  1
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Count"
    "name"  :  "Hydrogen Bond Acceptor"
   }
  {
    "ival"  :  0
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Count"
    "name"  :  "Hydrogen Bond Donor"
   }
  {
    "ival"  :  3
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Count"
    "name"  :  "Rotatable Bond"
   }
  {
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Fingerprint"
    "name"  :  "SubStructure Keys"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "1-ethoxypropane"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "IUPAC Name"
    "name"  :  "Allowed"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "1-ethoxypropane"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "IUPAC Name"
    "name"  :  "CAS-like Style"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "1-ethoxypropane"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "IUPAC Name"
    "name"  :  "Preferred"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "1-ethoxypropane"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "IUPAC Name"
    "name"  :  "Systematic"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "1-ethoxypropane"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "IUPAC Name"
    "name"  :  "Traditional"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "InChI=1S/C5H12O/c1-3-5-6-4-2/h3-5H2,1-2H3"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "InChI"
    "name"  :  "Standard"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "NVJUHMXYKCUMQA-UHFFFAOYSA-N"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "InChIKey"
    "name"  :  "Standard"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  1.3
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Log P"
    "name"  :  "XLogP3-AA"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  88.08881
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Mass"
    "name"  :  "Exact"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "C5H12O"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Molecular Formula"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  88.14818
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Molecular Weight"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "CCCOCC"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "SMILES"
    "name"  :  "Canonical"
   }
  {
    "sval"  :  "CCCOCC"
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "SMILES"
    "name"  :  "Isomeric"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  9.2
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Topological"
    "name"  :  "Polar Surface Area"
   }
  {
    "fval"  :  88.08881
   }
  {
    "label"  :  "Weight"
    "name"  :  "MonoIsotopic"
   }

The data extraction from the JSONP above is tricky because these PubChem
> data files *are not consistent from compound to compound*.

Then you should contact PubChem and get them to fix that.