Jennifer,

I knew this statement was out there. It took me a while to find the Web doc:

"public String JME.smiles()

returns a SMILES string of the current molecule(s) or reaction. For single
molecule without stereochemistry the SMILES is unique, unification is not yet
implemented for molecules with stereochemistry and for reactions.”
http://www.molinspiration.com/jme/doc/jme_functions.html
<http://www.molinspiration.com/jme/doc/jme_functions.html>

It’s an old doc, but I’m sure it still applies.

Since canonize is the default in JSME, you’re going to have to select
nocanonize!

Also, your current option setting sets the “query” option. That sets up SMARTS
mode. I don’t think that is what you want?

Although it’s commented out in your current HTML, it looks like you are set of
for a simple string comparison. That’s not going to work. This is where Bob’s
JSmol .find approach comes into play - my previous email.

I’ve been using a Jmol/JSME SMILES comparison for quite a while, so don’t
hesitate to ask if you need more specific information.

Otis

--
Otis Rothenberger
o...@chemagic.org