InChI is very messy because there’s more than one version of the program that
generates it.  So depending on what version you use, you get a different InChI.
 That information about which version of the InChI rules you are using is an
early part of the string.  The other problem with InChI is that the strings can
be REALLY LONG, as in so long that it’s not possible to use them when you
search Google.  That was another take-away from the course.

The reason I have been using server side lookup for the current page I’m
developing is that I’m having students draw the starting material for a given
reagent/product combination.  There are often numerous starting materials that
are possible.  Going back to the server seemed much more elegant than trying to
manage regular expressions on the variety of different SMILES or adding a
second query to generate a complete list of other possible starting materials
that would also work.  And it was cool to me because it forced me to finally
learn how to do Ajax.
Jennifer

Jennifer Muzyka
H.W. Stodghill Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professor of Chemistry
Centre College
600 West Walnut Street
Danville, KY  40422

jennifer.muz...@centre.edu<mailto:jennifer.muz...@centre.edu>
http://web.centre.edu/muzyka
http://organicers.org

859-238-5413
fax 859-236-7925

On Jul 22, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Robert Hanson