Am 08.06.17 um 14:41 schrieb Robert Hanson:
RIP,  Java applets.

Since there still are many situations where the superior Java performance would be helpful (large structures; surfaces; complex Jmol scripts that are running about 50 times slower in the Javascript version) it would still be good to have a Java version with the flexibility of the applet to build customized user interfaces.

I am wondering how much effort it would be to extend the applet by a HTML/CSS rendering and Javascript engine like it is provided by systems like 'JavaFX - WebView Component (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/api/toc.htm https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2438201/pure-java-html-viewer-renderer-for-use-in-a-scrollable-pane), Oracle Nashorn (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jf14-nashorn-2126515.html), and HtmlUnit (http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/).

I woud guess one of the critical points would be how much of the Javascript/Applet communication would still be possible in such application.

Regards,
Rolf