From: Stephen Barncard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:11:39 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: the song "Woodstock"

The opening riff was most definitely Neil. I was with the band in the
studio in 1969 when they cut it. They were coming off the high of the
festival; it couldn't have been more than a couple of months since
the show. They had decided to cut what was to become the 'Deja Vu'
album in San Francisco, and to use the company that they used for the
first album, at Wally Heider recording.

Earlier that summer I had been looking for a job in the business but
wanted to live in San Francisco. I got hired two weeks before the
sessions.

  It was one of the first songs that was cut there. Bill Halverson
hadn't been hired back yet and Russ Gary, the staff engineer that was
assigned to train me, cut the track live in the studio.

Joni had to sit out the festival in a hotel in New York, but was
probably inspired by what she saw on the TV news and the stories
brought back by the guys. All of them ended up on the Dick Cavett
show (videos exist) with mud on their clothes, describing what had
happened to the audience on TV. I imagine she wrote the song within a
few hours or days of these events.

Contrast the high of the festival (imagine 500,000 people screaming
at YOU) with David's loss of his lady Christine, and you get an idea
of the tension in the room when it was recorded. You could cut it
with a knife. One of the most amazing things I had ever seen in the
studio to this day. One or two takes at the most, and the track was
done, the vocals cut the next two days. Stills did a few vocal takes
on the lead, Nash put the high parts on top - two part, all three did
the choruses and I nearly went through the roof. They were FAST!