<<Back in '95 I heard on San Fran's KFOG a re-broadcast of a small concert Joni had
doen in LA.  >>

Deb correctly identified this as the Gene Autry show, Walt. It's been treed within
this group and is available on tape and CD.

<<there is some kind of tribute album in the works >>

Deb gave you the tracklisting, as to when and IF it'll be released, nobody seems to
know. Reprise eats worms. It's a crying shame that Joni's been so underrepresented in
this department IN THE U.S. We've already seen tribute CD's from Canada, Sweden, &
Holland, but not the U.S. Praise be to David Lahm for his EXCELLENT "Jazz Takes on
Joni Mitchell" which I don't classify as tributes but rather re-casting Joni's songs
in a jazz setting. Very nice, especially the newer one, "More Jazz Takes on JM". This
should be in everyone's collection, it gets better with every listen!

<<I have TWICE caught the second half of an
hour-long performance by joni for a small group in Toronto >>

Since you added the bit about her dancing, it's obvious that it's "Painting With Words
& Music". This was filmed in LA and was attended by several JMDLer's. Some great
stories to be sure!

<<any idea what Joni's next album is about thematically, or whether she's even working
on one, or when we might expect it, hmmmm?>>

The latest that I've heard is that it'll be a collection of her previous songs recast
in an orchestral setting. Given the songs performed on her 2000 tour, these would
include "Judgement Of The Moon & Stars", "Be Cool", "For The Roses", "Hejira"...I'd
love to see her abandon this project and head in a different direction, but that's
just my selfish opinion.

Bob

NP: Stevie Ray Vaughan, "Empty Arms"