>We checked my
>dictionary (which is VERY old) and sure enough my friends were
>right.  I just
>said if Joni says reoccur, then I can too! :~)

i think reoccur is not in most old dictionaries because they haven't caught
up with usage.  it is in most thesauruses (thesaures?).  if you do a web
search you'll find it is in common use.  it means something slightly
different from recur, but joni used it wrong.

the reoccur thread happened between 11/20/97 and 12/10/97  and was...
heated.  on the jonilist!?!  i just had a laugh reading through some posts i
saved.  here's some good stuff

-----
rob jordan - 11/20

Patrick wrote:
> i'm also puzzling this out but it feels like a different meaning than
> recur.  things that recur, happen again and again.  reoccur seems to
> mean happen, then not happen, then happen.  I think i can give a good
> example. If you'd had cancer surgery and went into remission, you
> wouldn't worry that the cancer would recur, but you'd worry that it
> might reoccur.  does this make sense, cause it sure feels right to
> me?

I started this thread in a grumpy mood <g>, but now I'm starting to think
more deeply and enjoy it! Actually I more or less agree with you. If you
had car trouble which went away and then one morning the car wouldn't start
again, you could say it re-occured. But 'recurring nightmare' is used so
commonly in british english it's almost a cliche. For some people it's
being naked in company, or standing up to give a speech and having no
notes. By the same token, I would think a recurring dream would be one you
have over and over and over again.

Etymologically they both come from the latin 'currere', to run, but
're-currere' to run again, had already been glued together in middle
english. Occur is 'ob-currere', ob- meaning 'in the way'. So, I suppose
re-occur is strictly, to run in the way again. If you think etymology is a
good guide to usage, which I don't!

Rob

-------
jerry notaro - 12/8

2 cents from a former old maid English teacher:

recur - referring to somethings that happens on more than one occassion,
no matter when or how many times.

re-occur - it happened once, and has now happened once more.

Jerry

------
and me, patrick leader, 12/8

>****, several have made the case very well that there are two different
meanings here.  When I was in California my sister and I looked on her
Microsoft Bookshelf CD.  Reoccur was not in the Dictionary Module, but it
was in the Thesaurus Module.  And there was a synonomous phrase that
EXACTLY expresses reoccur, and definitely not recur.  The phrase was "show
up like a bad penny".  My example of going into remission and hoping that
the cancer doesn't reoccur; Rob's similiar example regarding car trouble;
these are clear examples that demonstrate why people have been using the
word and I think you're showing a certain amount of tone deafness
pretending there's no difference.  The latinate roots of the words are
different, re - currere vs. re - ob - currere; and the second one again
expresses exactly what I'm saying: reoccur means to happen again after some
interval or interruption.

<snip>

I prefer my language unembalmed.

Patrick