A clear voice for right action

Dear Ann Landers: Never have I felt so moved as when I read the letter
from "Former Classmate in Illinois." I, too, have avoided attending my
high school reunions. And with good reason.

It was 45 years ago, and I had just come to America from Europe. My
English was not good, and the "in crowd" didnt think I had the right
clothes or hairstyle. Everything about me was wrong. I had to endure
their snickering, and I always ate
alone at lunchtime. I once got up the nerve to invite six girls to my
16th birthday party. Only one girl came, and she left early. My parents
never knew that I cried myself to sleep that night.

In my junior year, something wonderful happened. Another girl saved me
from despair. We became friends instantly, and she began to join me at
lunch. She was also ignored by the "in crowd," but she didnt care. She
marched to a different
drummer. She had her own music.

She came to my home one afternoon and brought her little sister to play
with mine. We became great friends. She played her guitar and sang like
an angel. Soon she invited me to join her as she visited USO clubs and
sang for the soldiers. She
was a big hit wherever she appeared. One night on the way home from a
USO club, I bet her $10 she would become famous  and she did. Her name
is Joan Baez.

 Rosie Herz (now Rita Violette) of Sun City

Dear Rosie: What a heartwarming story. I hope Joan Baez sees this column
or that someone who knows her will bring it to her attention. We now
know that in addition to her marvelous voice, Joan Baez is a beautiful
person with a loving and generous heart.

Leslie