Lamadoo!
You are in so much horsepuckey! If I remember correctly, it was a joint
effort that we "shared." Joni had a friend, unbeknownst to us, that was
reading the JMDL on her behalf. Joni, at the time, was very Internet shy. She
wanted nothing to do with computers. Kilauren had just found Joni, her
mother, and it was discovered that Wally, the originator of the Joni Mitchell
site, (now deceased) in conjunction with the JMDL site, assisted Kilauren in
finding her mother. It was a very joyful time for all of us, a dream come
true, so to speak. Also, Joni had not toured for many years and did not seem
inclined to do so. We used to talk about her ever touring again as a fleeting
dream that we could barely hope for. It was a theme that kept us close and
together as a group. We dreamed together about her playing live. Somehow,
that made it real for us. It made the possibility a little "closer to earth."
Back then, that possibility was in the stratosphere!

Anyway, our hearts were so full of longing and love for Joni and her music.
Writing to the JMDL was like writing letters to the recipient of unrequited
love. We hoped against hope that we would somehow be heard. The news of
Kilauren was like new life to us. We felt as if she were our child as well.
So one night, Lamadoo drafted a letter to Kilauren and sent it to the group
in hopes that she would see it. We knew that Kilauren had been surfing our
site. I was so touched by his effort that I asked him if I could send a
letter too. All I can remember at this point is trying to communicate to her
how deeply her mother's music affected me as well as the other JMDL list
members, and how honest she has always been with her music. We tried to show
Kilauren what a special mother she had.

Joni's friend found the letters, printed them off, and showed them to Joni.
They touched her deeply because she had just found her daughter and it was a
very emotional time for her. Her friend sent word through Les that Joni
appreciated our feelings towards her and Kilauren.

It was Lamadoo's (do we ever use your first name anymore?) tug of the heart
strings to start the letters to Kilauren. I was so touched by his gesture,
that I wanted to pour out my heart as well. We had no idea that someone close
to Joni was reading them as well. There were a lot of wonderful and kind
words spoken at that time by all the members of the JMDL that I am sure Joni
was able to look at as well. Back then, because she did not tour, that was
the closest we could get to her. Now, so many of our JMDL'ers have met her,
talked to her and gotten the chance to see her perform live. I have not had
that opportunity, but I am not sad about it. They say that everything happens
for a reason. My moment of beauty came through communication with her friend.
If I never see her play live, this will be enough for me. To know that I
touched her heart the way she touches mine with her music...it is the
greatest gift I could ever receive.

My memory is a little vague Lamaman, so fill in the blank spots please!

Love,
Sherelle

PS... Pat Metheny's solo on Shadows and Light-Amelia makes your heart ache
and your toes curl it is so good!