Thank you for posting this. I'm sure that those of you who read Gordon
Sinclair's tribute to the US will infer from its content that it isn't a
current editorial. Just to clarify: Gordon Sinclair (1900-1984) delivered
this broadcast from Toronto on June 5, 1973, as the US was withdrawing from
Vietnam. It was later printed in the US Congressional Record.
Sinclair was a crusty old goat who never prevaricated when it came to
expressing his opinion, so it can be assumed that he meant every word he
said. Like it or not, there was no pandering going on in this broadcast!
His words mean a lot to me today as a Canadian: obviously because evidence
seems to be mounting that Canada's relaxed (or negligent) security and
misguidedly tolerant policies may have contributed to this carnage (reports
indicate that over 100 associates of bin Laden - and others - are in Canada,
and that the RCMP knows about and monitors them). Citizens of both Canada
and the US will have to live with tighter security precautions, probably for
the rest of our lives.
But his words also mean a lot because of the ungenerous, spiteful,
'Big-Bully-America-Had-It-Coming' tone of so many letters my fellow
Canadians have seen fit to write to our newspapers today. I knew we could be
provincial and smug, but I never knew we could be so mean- and
small-spirited.
I'm probably too emotional right now to write rationally about this, but
when I read those letters, I was, for the first time in my life, ashamed of
Canada.

I'll stop now. My thoughts are with all our NYC listers who lived and
continue to live through this, and to everybody around the world who lost
loved ones.

love from Roberto