Whilst I spent yesterday's 11am Silence at home
on my own, two friends were on their way across
London to my home for a recording session.

Felicity was walking across Highbury Fields
on her way to the tube station. Everyone stopped
and stood in silence, busses stopped and traffic
stopped  - silence.

Will was on a tube train travelling up on the
Northern Line when the driver came on the
intercom to announce the 3 minutes silence.
The crowded tube car fell silent  - all except for
two Chinese women who continued yattering
away loudly in Chinese totally unaware of the
driver's request or the sudden silence all around
them - Will tells me no one had the heart to tell
them but just remained silent in their own thoughts -
which in his case became a little jumbled!! :)
(China, I hear, are one of the latest countries, to
condemn the terrorists and express support).

Afterwards, I heard a tearful caller to a radio
talk show say that in her part of London the whole
world stopped when the local school's loud whistle
sounded. At the time her two cats had been
scampering around her kitchen playing with each
other. They suddenly stopped and sat completely
still for three minutes.

PaulC

PS - thank you Sherelle  - you are a big comfort
to ME  - my most soul-soothing Joni song? -
'Sisotowbell Lane'  (Noah is fixing the pump in the rain)