--- Kate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I also feel an intense gratitude to those people who
> are in New York and
> Washington right now doing the rescue work. They
> are, to my mind, doing
> me a personal favour by putting themselves through
> that hell -- which is
> exactly what it must be, for them. They are doing
> what I wish I could be
> there doing, taking some of the load in a physical
> way.
>
> I feel so helpless and so, so sad.

Same here.  It's at times like these (what times like
these?  Nothing like this has ever happened - here in
North America anyway.  The world for that matter.
there have been natural disasters - hurricanes,
earthquakes, foods. There have been unnatural
disasters - bombings, suicide raids, but this...  It's
at *this* time, I wish I had done something useful and
practical, like going into medicine or nursing, so
there would be something real and practical I could do
to help.  I overheard a couple of people talking in
the elevator on Friday - one was asking the other if
she thought she would be going to New York.  I work
for the ministry of health, so there are a lot of
health professionals who work there.  This lady was a
nurse.  Our provincial government has asked anyone
with a background in counselling or whatever if they
want to volunteer to help out in grief counselling or
whatever, should the need arise, to go to New York, or
elsewhere to help out in this.  I wish I could do
that.