Catherine,
Thanks so much for sharing this song.  I have a friend whose response to
everything is, "It could be worse."  It's so nice when someone gives you
permission to be sad and is sad along with you.

This reminds me of a book I once read.  I'm not a conventionally religious
person but I liked this thought:  The author talked about people telling you
that it's "God's will" when something horrible happens. This is just not
comforting and leaves us more confused than before.  He went on to say that
maybe things just don't make sense and that God is grieving along with us.

Catherine wrote:
You who were there need to talk about it.
We who weren't there but who are frightened just the
same, need to hear about it.  It's part of the healing
process and it's going to be a long process.  In my
mind, I'm hearing a song sung by Holly Cole, but I'm
not sure who wrote it.  The words go like this:

Cry if you want to
I won't tell you not to
I won't try to cheer you up
I'll just be here if you want me

It's no use in keeping a stiff upper lip
You can weep, you can sleep, you can loosen your grip
You can frown, you can drown, or go down with the ship
You can cry if you want to

Don't ever apologize venting your pain
It's something to me you don't need to explain
I don't need to know why, I don't think it's insane
You can cry if you want to

The windows are closed,the neighbours aren't home
If it's better with me than to do it alone
I'll draw all the curtains and unplug the phone
You can cry if you want to

You can stare at the ceiling and tear at your hair
Swallow your feelings and stagger and swear
You can show things and throw things and I wouldn't
care
You can cry if you want to

I won't make fun of you, I won't tell anyone
And I won't analyze what you do or you should have
done
I won't advise you to go and have fun
You can cry if you want to

Well, it's empty and ugly and terribly sad
I can't feel what you feel, but I know it feels bad
I know that it's real and it makes you so mad
You could cry

Cry if you want to, I won't tell you not to
I won't try to cheer you up
I'll just be here if you want me
to be near you.