I started a post a few days ago that relayed my experience with Marcel...then
deleted it and sent the laundry list of people I'd like to have sex with
since that was more fun and seemed more healthy.  Jimmy posted a call for
Marcel and I think now I will say what my experience was that makes me feel
the way I do.

There are many issues I agree with Marcel on.  I voted for Bush and said so
on the list and lived with the badgering of some Bush haters for a few
months.  Marcel was very active during that time posting articles and what
not.  One day I posted something about no longer being Roman Catholic and he
sent me a private post.  It said that I was stupid.  He had certain phrases
in there like....'your choice reflects your limitations as a thinker'....'you
obviously don't have a clue toward reality'....'you're probably a democrat
which would explain everything'....and one i'll never forget...'that's the
most rediculous thing anyone's ever said and you have no idea what you are
talking about'

Well, I lived in a Roman Catholic monastary for three years and I think I do
have some idea about what I was talking about.  The thing is, I didn't want
to have that conversation with him.  He sent his post to me, and I replyed
because I try to be nice to people and he'd dissect my replys line by line,
and then attack my thoughts with passion and insult.  All along, I felt it
was because he could not reconcile that we could agree on some issues of
politics, but not of faith.  And therefore, he had to prove to me that I was
wrong because he couldn't live with that tension of differing views.

I was left feeling that Marcel was intensly competitive and secretive.  The
whole off list thing was weird.  It was fast.  I'd spend a day thinking about
something and post him and with in three minutes, he'd dissect it and send it
back with degrading commentary.  Finally, I just stopped all correspondance
because he was unable to let me be.  Like who really gives a fuck where I go
to church anyway?  And I was being forced to justify my choice, which I was
not questioning.  I mean, what's the big deal.  Maybe I'm wrong and should be
Catholic.  I don't know.  I just know i feel better where I am.  It's that
simple for me.  But not for Marcel.

I saw at least 4 people all ask Marcel not to post to them off list.  I saw
one person say that he would tear up their posts line by line and cut them
down to shreads.  This!!!! was my exact experience.  And, I'm capable of
defending my opinions pretty well.  I can just imagine that some people are
not so quick to defend themselves and left feeling really really frightened.
So I concluded that he had some weird edge going on that made him this dark
modem figure.  Then Patrick L. labled it...cyber rapist.

I still think that's the best phrase I've heard to describe what I
experienced, regardless of what stigma that lable carries with it.  I was
left feeling attacked.  I felt he was arrogant and forceful of his opinions
and when I didn't accept them, he had to call me stupid to justify my
differing views.  I've been on the list since '96 and I've never felt that
way with any other lister.

I love the Catholic church, even though I don't go there.  And there are
times in the last week when I thought...oh Marcel would have a field day with
that post.  Especially over the flag stuff lately and the anti war stuff.  I
know he would be totally at a loss over the attacks and would have presented
a better counter to Ric's post and some others that to me, seemed to forget
totally about the 6000 dead bodies burried in NYC and the continued threat we
live with.  But at the same time, I experienced something with him that I've
never experienced with any other lister and I can't explain it any better
than that.

Maybe his time off list is helpful for him to rethink how he approaches
people and that his thoughts are not the only right ones.  I know many people
have met him and love him.  And Jimmy is absolutely the sweetest man and his
thoughts mean alot to me.  But at the same time, I know I saw something there
that was definately troubling.  And I wish I didn't.  Really.  pat