Hi Sherelle-good for you! I too would rather deal with my ups and downs myself
and I do, fairly well. Okay, I am lucky in that my highs no longer send me crazy
crazy. And my lows are no longer so dark as to incite suicide. Years of therapy
paid off. Although I am hugely disappointed that the damned illness is still with
me, it is now no where near as extreme. So the therpay did work-cleared awya the
shit I wa scarrying, mostly, and thus I don;t have that added burden to fuel the
mood swings.

Unfortunately, you are right about other's attitudes. At best they are
patronising and never see you as a real whole person. in discussions one is never
taken seriously. For if you disagree with someone, it's 'well, he isn;t quite
right is he?' At worst it is downright discrimination.

Mental illness is still hugely discrimainated against, and acceptably so in our
societies. Fear being the rooot of course. It doesn't help that tv and film often
portray us as dangerous!

Although i would have preferred not to have this thing, it has taught me much and
it has enhanced my world view and my understanding of people. I tend to see
things differently. yes, this sets me at odds with others but that is their
problem. my different view shakes their world and they don't like it.
The same can be said of my world of abuse when a child-yes I would rather not
have had that-it would be great to have a family and a loving one at that. But
that wasn't to be. It too has brought me much opportunity and I wouldn't be who I
am today if I hadn't experienced all I have. However, I do not think any of this
'meant to be'. It just was and there was nothing I could about it.

The worst aspect of it all, which still affects me today, is the doubting of my
own thinking. I was always told that black was white or white was black or that
my thoughts and doubts and questions were Satan's way of leading me astray, that
it was Satan who put those thoughts in my mind.Thus I spent most of my life
afraid and in excruiating doubt. I could not trust my own thinking, my own
perceptions. Thus I was easily abused outside of the family as well. So people
were able to do really bad things and I wouldn't see that and just think I was
bad and it was my fault, I deserved it.
I was lucky in that wehn I met my therapist my wal came tumbling down
immediately-I trusted him straight away. Thru this trust of him I was able to
start to trust myself. It did have it's drawbacks! For the first time in my life
I felt rage, real anger, because now I knew what had been done to me and that it
wasn't my fault! That was very hard to deal with. I also beagn to feel all sorts
of other things, feelings I had long ago buried. I had learned as achild to 'shut
down' and not feel anything. Thus when i wa sbeing hurt, I gave no reaction and
felt nothing. unfortuantely those feelings stay with you and have to be felt one
day. That day came for me and it was the most teryfying time of my life. Even
today, I sometimes wish I could 'shut down' but I have leanred other methods of
dealing with feelings. One thing I still do tho is 'disassociate'. i.e in
situations I find diffiuclt, I go into a dream like state, shut down completely.
Soemtimes this is okay but at other times it isn't because it leaves me exposed
to danger and unable to defend myself. It does make me good in situations where
others panic tho!

The major side effect of feeling th bad stuff is I get to feel the good stuff
too!

bw
colin