mike,
argentine bad language is so much less colorful than that of the rest of the
spanish speaking world. i have heard spanish people say such things as ''me
cago en dios/la hostia/la virgen'' [i shit on god/the host/the virgen], but
i have never ever heard an argentine say anything like that. our most
popular insults have to do with female relatives, for example: ''la concha
de tu hermana/madre/abuela'', [you sister's/mother's/grandmother's cunt],
''la puta que te pario'' [the whore that gave you birth], and combinations.
one of the most common ways to call someone an asshole is to say ''boludo''
or ''pelotudo''. it roughly means that your testicles are inordinately
large. you can also use the feminine forms ''boluda/pelotuda'' to insult a
woman, although it obviously doesn't make any sense at all!!! we also have a
large menu of insults of the go-to-hell kind. however, we send people to
parts of their female relatives's bodies. e.g.: ''andate a la concha de tu
madre'' [go to your mother's cunt]. we also use ''andate a la mierda'' [go
to (where the) shit (is)]. they are nonsensical still highly insulting. the
forms are fixed and you must be careful when you create your own
combinations because there's a thin line between insult and pure nonsense.
for example you never say ''go to your father's cock'' but you do say ''go
to the cock'' [''andate al carajo'']. another way to call someone a moron is
to say ''sos un forro'' [you are a condom].
as you can see we simply don't know how to insult someone with style and
imagination. our bad language is very surrealistic.
wallyK