Reuben wrote:

> This whole thing got me thinking...I made a flip comment about
Streisand=gay a couple of days ago, and several people got up in arms about
stereotyping.

Maybe irked was the wrong word.  Maybe confounded would have been better, or
perplexed.    Grace Jones, Madonna, Boy George, Cyndi Lauper, (and the one
the made my dad the most uncomfortable) Bette Davis...I later realized as I
grew up were often labeled as "gay icons", and I figured oh well, makes
sense to me.

Grace Jones--- never really figured her out.
Boy George- didn't care too much for him and thought he was an embarrassment
to the gay world.  I felt as if he was a definite step back for homosexuals
and that the straight world would assume that all or most homosexuals were
like him.
Cyndi Lauper-  Kind of liked her but not enough to buy her music and didn't
even know she had a gay following.
Bette Davis- I didn't know she was a gay icon either.  She was okay, pretty
good actress.

Diana Ross and the Supremes- never wanted to be Diana but loved their sound.
Their harmony, the words and emotions, and the whole package.
Show tunes- some are pretty good, some are pretty bad.
Judy- nough said
Barbra- ditto
Bette- never really dug her that much until the rose and that was because of
Janis.  Now, really like her a lot. chick flicks- like some, not others.

Never wanted to be a woman or dress up like one.  Love to play basketball
and tennis and haven't been averse to throwing an elbow or two when needed,
or smacking someone in the face while they were at net, if they deserved it.
Like Colin, not that great of a housekeeper.  Like it relatively neat but no
Felix Unger.  Don't cook.  Don't want to and definitely don't want to have
to clean it up afterwards.  Don't want to have sex with EVERY SINGLE MAN
that I see.  Has always amazed me that some really gross guys think that
homosexuals want them.  You must be kidding.  Don't like to be called gay.
Not gay, homosexual.  Hate that word.  Don't have a designation like top or
bottom and hate those kind of terms too.  Just a person.  I like tenderness
and sweetness and moments together.  Not interested in who is sleeping with
whom and wonder why everyone is so interested in who I might be sleeping
with.  Just a person like anyone else who happens to get turned on by some
men.  Everyone is different, including homosexuals, and those images and
preconceptions are just stereotypical.

Mack