Fred posted: And I didn't infer that you thought Afghan music was inferior.
It's just that why should we assume they would want to listen to any
American music? If they do, fine, but one of the things that irk
non-Americans is America's somewhat arrogant exportation of its culture.
Sure, lots of non-Americans love it but in too many cases it supplants
indigenous culture, like kudzu.

It is true that as a nation we are, almost above all else, curious. We
assume everyone else is too. Perhaps that's naive and innocent. Frankly, I
love this country for that very reason. I do like the idea of cultural
exchanges, both within our borders, and for those interested, people and
nations outside our borders.

As far as American pop culture supplanting others cultures, I agree that
that's a very real concern. But I think with care traditional cultures can
be preserved and exist alongside modern influences. (If you stepped into my
house, you'd be overwhelmed with a sense of mid 18th century America. Yet, I
don't live in the exact conditions that are preserved in painstaking detail
as in Sturbridge Village or Colonial Williamsburg.)

This is an issue that is very real to me. Because many of us in my family
are enamored with that particular era of this country's history, we collect
and emulate many aspects of life at that time. But we still have microwaves,
computers, etc. (And they're tucked into cabinets with historically correct
raised panel doors and authentic hardware.)

So, what's the answer? To carefully preserve the details of a culture so
that anyone who wants to can incorporate aspects of it into their life. The
other half of the equation is whether in the interest of historical
preservation we should not share ideas and inventions with a people. The key
is choice. As long as there is a choice, people will make the choice they
want. Isn't that exactly what we're (U.S. and Northern Alliance) fighting
for?

lots of love
Anne