Hi Debra,

"...it's hard to imagine her doing sculpture considering how flat
her paintings are, not the surface itself but the lack of believeable
illusionistic depth. Her sense of space is very flat, which is not a
criticism, just a description."

Interesting to hear some conversation about Joni's painting.  During my
visits to the exhibit in Saskatoon, I left a note recommending the
illustrator, Rob Howard to Joni. I doubt she got the note... or paid
much attention to it if she did.
 A shame. Rob is one of the best painters around with lots of info that
would help her painting.  Her form painting is flat because she hasn't
figured out form painting on her own -which is based entirely, well
predominately- on color value. Given her impulsive nature, I can't
imagine her ever having the patience to master form painting based on
value. It's so by the numbers. She's so attatched to the idea of color
hues as expressive content and metaphor. It's hard to believe she'd ever
give up that "freedom" and start squinting for values. The rules of
impressionism work great for sweeping panoramas and vistas, but they
don't work for planes that are an inch or so apart. Compliments don't
make form in a face.  -The area she's improved with masterfully is the
chromatic values of  the TI paintings. Her use of titanium white to
bring the values higher really kills many of the earlier paintings. It's
what helps make them so flat.  -Thankfully, her sharp eye is seeing how
the master's did it: lighter tube colors of the same hue, and
intermixing hues to make value changes. Not white. Not black.

On the subject of permanence, she would do well to sell the Turbulent
Indigo painting now while it  commands big dollar offers. It is a
gorgeous piece, truly deserving of the term 'masterpiece.'  But all
those slathered layers of oil rich paint (and man, there are many!!!!
That painting has undulating hills and valleys almost half an inch deep
in spots.) are already going through some serious deterioration.

One week with Rob and she'd be the genius she already is. Speaking of
genius, I just got home from a VNV Nation concert in Chicago and it was
awesome beyond awesome. They're the kind of music the kids listen to, so
I'm sure they're unfamiliar to most in this neck of the woods. It's a
form of music verrrrry contrary to Joni's. I wonder what she would think
of them. What struck me is how someone like VNV and Joni can get up on a
stage, of no proportions larger than the average human being, and then
by the sheer gift and brilliance of their artistry, stand larger than
life. That amazes me. I hope someday to learn how to do that.

John.