Hey Walt,

I can't help you with Italian but I'll clarify another area that you touched
on.

Bob Muller's life work in the Joni Internet community is assembling and
disseminating the covers.  Bob is also extremely generous about making
copies of a huge variety of Joni interviews and concerts on a "blanks and
postage" basis on the "Music" type of CD-R.  God bless Bob for his time and
for being so generous with the Community.

--

On the other hand, Simon is the Archivist.  As I see it, Simon focuses on 4
aspects of Joni's career.

First, he unearths and catalogs the best sounding versions of the various
recordings.  If he finds an important recording like the Second Fret sets
from Joni's coffeehouse days, he'll try to track down and borrow the
original tape, archiving it to digital audio tape (DAT).  He's been known to
contribute video to Ashara's video project too.

Secondly, Simon is building documentation of Joni's performances.  This goes
way beyond a discography, and includes performance dates, playlists, and
personnel lists.  It surprises me that no one has done the cataloging for
Joni.  I believe that in the Jazz world, for example, this kind of
information is often assembled for artists of her stature.  This
documentation is used by music historians and critics for other artists all
the time and frankly, it's a crying shame that nobody thought of it sooner.

Third, Simon has orginized many of these recordings into various formats, a
process called "mastering".  For example, when a recording is distributed (a
"tree") on premium cassette, the contents of Side A is different than when
it is distributed on DAT.  Mastering is a time consuming activity and is
little appreciated unless you've done it.  (Right Chuck?)  Simon's trees
have spanned Joni's entire career, from the pre-contract days to the Brian
Blade-powered tour, to the "Both Sides Now" tour, to the "TNT Tribute".
Simon's treed material ALWAYS includes thorough tracklists.  For some
performances, like the "TNT All Star Tribute to Joni Mitchell" and the "A
Day In The Garden" show, more than one version is widely circulated, richly
interesting, and historically important. This brings me to his fourth area
of concentration.

Four.  Simon is perhaps most famous for "audience recordings" of Joni's
shows.  Without getting into exact details, lets just say that he has uhmmmm
"acquired" and freely shared amazingly accurate, digital recordings from
Joni's recent live performances.  The better your stereo, the better these
recordings sound.  As an audiophile, I have written many times about the
accurate bass and the uncompressed, grainless sound.  I love being able to
experience the "hall sound" of the Hammerstein Ballroom, just as the
audience did at the TNT taping.  While I also enjoy the TNT show as a stereo
video, these audio qualities are completely absent from the soundtrack of
the TNT show taken from the soundboard.

So, anyway, that's a summary of Simon's roles in Joni's career and that's
why Karen O'Brien acknowledged his contribution in her biography, "Shadows
and Light".

Lama

ps. I'm proud to offer premium-quality cassettes of many of Simon's treed
audio.  Contact me offlist for details.

Walt said,

<edited>