Hi

        >>Fatcats2 wrote
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the jmdl. Had to respond to the J. Armatrading
discussion. I was an admirer back when too, early 80's? when I saw her with a
band that was fabulous and stopped on a dime! I was on my way home from work
here in SF and saw that she and her small band was performing in a very small
venue in about an hour. I got off the streetcar and bought a ticket, excited
at seeing her after so many years. She looks the same and sounds the same,
literally. She played no new music, and rushed through each piece like she
couldn't wait to pick up the pay and get out of there. No rapport, nothing
genuine as I saw it. I was roundly disappointed. When this happens it makes me
appreciate Joni more than ever, for staying creative and fresh, no matter what
everyone wants to hear. Perhaps someone has had a different experience, and I
hope Joan A. still writes and is staying creative.<<

i saw joan play in cape town last year as an opening act(????) for afro celtic sound
connection.

absolutely great show!! the audience was all there to see her, & probably 2/3s of them
disappeared after her show - which was a shame as afro celtic sound system are a great
live show (esp as it was their first ever show on african soil). she also kind of
rushed through her show, which was only around 40 minutes, but she did at least
interact very nicely with the audience. took ages to get back out for an encore - but
the crowd wasnt going to let her go.

the crowd was interesting - ranging from young dope smokers to elderly folks of 60/70
plus dressed in furs & jewels - so i guess she has a pretty broad appeal.

quite interesting in the break between her show & afro celtic sound connection. she
was just kind of wandering around her own, checking out the crowd very unobtrusively.
then some of the crowd spotted her, & tried to get an autograph. she kept saying she
wasnt joan, she was her sister. she turned round, & saw me standing there laughing, &
gave me a nice smile & a wink, which was kind of cool. so - does joan have a twin
sister who looks & talks just like her????

ron