> About the Blue lyrics, I agree with Hell here, I think ``the ink of
a pin`` is
> literally the tattoo ink (as introduced in the first line) and
reinforced by
> the crown and anchor image - the tatoo - Blue's tattoo?

For years I thought she was singing 'ink on a pen' and talking about
writing the song's lyrics down.  Then it finally dawned on me that she
was talking about tatooing and it was 'ink on a pin'.  I don't think I
ever saw it as a reference to drugs but I can see how that could be.

For me 'crown and anchor me' is a metaphor referring to a ship.  She
says 'I've been to sea before', like a ship has been to sea.  Then she
gives Blue the choice to 'crown and anchor me', to anchor her like a
ship or bind her to him in some way or to 'let me sail away', to set
her free.

I never felt that the references to drugs were specific to the lover
so much as to the whole scene that Joni & that lover found themselves
in.  She says 'you gotta keep thinking you can make it through these
waves' as if she's telling both Blue and herself that a positive
course & outlook are essential for survival in the crazy time & place
they're living in.  She goes on to say that she's willing to at least
check the whole scene out even though she knows that it isn't really
the right way for her to go.  Maybe Blue doesn't feel the same way as
she does about it.  Maybe he really believes that 'hell's the hippest
way to go'.

She ends by referring to her creation as a shell containing 'a sigh, a
foggy lullaby, both phrases that are aptly descriptive of this
gut-wrenching song.  To me, 'Blue' is a confession of love bursting
from Joni's very soul and a cry pain for a difficult but exhilarating
relationship that she knows cannot last much longer.  When she sings
'Blu-u-u-u-ue, I lo-ove yo-ou' it is such a cry of anguish and pain,
it just cuts right through me every time I hear it.  She's already
feeling the pain of loss, knowing that the relationship is hopeless.

Mark E.