> Imagine someone else singing 'I bore her, but I could not raise her' on Chinese
>Cafe. It's so personal it just doesn't work for anyone else.

although I understand what you mean, i don't agree. surely great singing is also about
acting and a good actor, if they understand the lyric, can convey the meaning and the
emotion.

Like some famous driector told some 'method' actor who complained he/she hadn't
experienced something he wanted them to act. the director said' you pretend-it's
called acting'.

so i think a good singer, or interpretor of song if you like, could very well sing
Chinese Cafe, and that line and have it resonate.

have you seen Ms M sing 'stay with me'? I am pretty certain she didn't write it, but i
defy anyone to hear/watch her sing it and not be moved buy it. She lived it.
bw
colin