'Hiraeth' is a word that the Welsh say is untranslatable (at least into
English) but is close (IMHO) to the Spanish/Catalan 'anhelo' in the sense of
'yearning' or 'longing'.
Experts in other romance languages (BigWalt?) may confirm my suspicion that it
has similar meanings there too. It also contains elements of 'lamentation',
'grief' and possibly most importantly, 'homesickness'. I say 'possibly' here
because the Welsh have never really suffered a diaspora in the way that the
Africans, Jews, Andaluz, Irish and others have, except to a much smaller
extent. There are many Welsh people still living in Patagonia, Argentina in
what was originally a Welsh settlement. Other Welsh emigrants went to north
America, particularly to Pennsylvania. Scranton and Wilke's Barre were two
places we were taught about in Welsh history as being Welsh 'centres' in the
USA. 'Bryn Mawr', as in the University, is a Welsh phrase meaning 'Big Hill'.
BTW 'mawr', meaning 'big', is not pronounced like 'more'; the vowel sounds
like the 'o' in 'loud', or 'cow'.
'Hiraeth' is therefore lamenting the present because it is not like the
glorious, mythical (possibly invented) past. I say 'possibly invented' because
it is not at all clear if Welsh History is as 'truthful' as it is presented.
One wonderful, Welsh historian, Gwyn Alf Williams, said that the poem 'Welsh
History', which I posted recently, was "a fine poem which expresses some
historical truths. It also sanctifies a monstrous historical lie". His thesis
is that the historical presentation of Wales as an ancient society/culture of
druids, bards, Arthurian knights etc is based on a wish to create an 'imagined
community' as described in Benedict Anderson's wonderful book of that title.
Imagining oneself as part of a community was often the beginning of
nationalistic movements, based on the idea that  "in the minds of each lives
the image of their communion". Anderson states that "communities are to be
distinguished, not by their falsity/genuineness, but by the style in which
they are imagined". It is not important if the myths of origin, or histories
of diasporas, or stories of persecution are historically true or not; what is
important, for Anderson, is if they 'work' or not. Do they serve to unite
people around a myth of origin, or whatever? As a strategy, does it serve a
nationalistic purpose? Gwyn Alf Williams' thesis is that the Welsh have been
guilty of creating an imagined community, and his book 'When Was Wales?' is an
attempt to sort out the truth from the myth, if possible. His book is
wonderfully written.
Hiraeth is also wishing ahead to a bright future, a future which will return
us to the glorious past so that we can live in an equally glorious present.
This is, of course, paradoxical because, for me, wishing is future orientated
and yearning is past orientated. Combine these two states of mind and time
frames with the lamentation for the not-so-rosy present and we have key
elements of hiraeth.

The accent / intonation is on the first syllable. 'Hir' means 'long'
(metaphorically as in 'longing' and literally in words like 'hirfys', middle
or longest finger) and sounds like 'Kir' as in 'Kirschwasser' (which appears
in Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, I think). The first syllable does not sound
like 'here' / 'hear'. To pronounce the second syllable correctly you need to
imagine Sylvester the cat  (Tweety Pie's tormentee) trying to say 'Ith
Justith, just aeth/ithe?' Put them together and you have Hir/aeth.

I repeat that this is just MY take on Hiraeth. I'd like to hear other welsh
jonilistas' versions too, as well as Wally's songs. Kate, is this something
like what you were trying to express in your song?

I'll finish here for today but as a special reward I'll post a Welsh poem (in
English) instead of Galeano on Monday. Have a great weekend.

meic