[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That's Robert Downey, Jr, Warren...that version from Ally McBeal was released on "A
>Very Ally Christmas" last year.

Bob,

Have you seen the ad yet? I don't think it's Robert Downey, Jr. singing.
I only heard his version once when I saw the show but remember it as
pained and halting; the version on the ad is melodious and sounds
sweetly sad, with more of a sense of longing rather than mourning.
Perhaps I'm being overly influenced by the context of the songs, but I
don't think so. Could it be the Travis version in the ad?

And, since I'm being pickily curious about whose voice I'm hearing... I
recently read that in Shrek the version of "Hallelujah" used in the
movie is John Cale, and the version on the soundtrack and in the tv ad
is Rufus Wainwright. The business aspect of music came into play there.
Haven't seen the movie yet to do a comparison.

> NP: Shawn Colvin, yet another version of "Shotgun Down The Avalanche"

I have that as a live duet with Mary Chapin Carpenter on a cd from a
generous and friendly lister. It's one of those songs I can play over
and over and then want to hear again.

Debra Shea