Penny wrote:

> The last sentence of this statement is not correct according to a first
> hand aquaintance of mine.

Thanks for the story, Penny  - lucky guy!!! Thanks also - Sue, Michael
and Marian - for confirmation of the standard tuning songs.

I found this in an interview Joni did with DJ Tony Hale on London's
Capital Radio for a  show called 'Rock Master Class (London, England,
December 29, 1985) see http://www.jmdl.com/articles/docs/851229rmc.cfm

TH: You don't tune a guitar the same way -- the conventional tuning,
E, A, D, G, B, E, I don't think, do you?

JM: Well, when I started playing guitar -- I'm trying to think now when
I got my first six-string guitar. I guess it was probably 1964. It was a
nylon string, it had a classical neck, a wide neck on it, and at that
time I played in standard tuning.

It wasn't until I began to write my own songs that I began to crave
chords that I didn't have the dexterity with my left hand to make.
The voicings that I heard, the music that I wanted to make, I simply
couldn't get out. And it was a frustration because, you know, I could
learn your F chord and your G chord, and your minor, and a couple
of things like that, but after a while there was no -- it seemed like
every variation or combination of chords had already been a
well-traveled course.

It was Eric Anderson that showed me some of the first open tunings
in the coffee houses in those days. Open G, D Modal, Open E, which
I guess is the same as Open -- Open G, Open D -- pure major chords,
anyway, were used among some of the people who played more
blues oriented folk music. And so I learned those. And then I began
to hybrid them. And the only person I knew that was also doing that
at the same time was Buffy St. Marie who had developed some
interesting-sounding chords with more modal than major or minor,
and that modality drew my ear."  >>>>

PaulC

PS. I know what Joni means by "it seemed like every variation
or combination of chords had already been a well-traveled course."
Only now, almost 40 years later, most of us find it hard to come up
with an 'open tuning' that doesn't sound like "one of Joni Mitchell's"!!!