Raffaele Malanga wrote:

> At some point in the book we're told about the "Good religion" of
> Zarathustra: "we have to be vigilant against the things which conspire
> against the life force - anger, brutality and dishonesty."
>
> These words immediately made me think of "The three great stimulants"
> lyrics. I'm sure there's something here: Joni's frequent allusions to
> Biblical stories, her admiration for Nietzsche (reference to his Zarathustra
> book), the three things which conspire against life force...

What a great quote, and what synchronically! This song has been much on my mind
lately, especially after a recent listening to the version of  the TGS from the
Rock Master Class recording (thanks as always, to Mr. Muller).  Seems likely
enough that this is an idea she may have adapted from Nietzsche, but its been
rolling around in my brain that Joni may have pinched "artifice, brutality and
innocence" from Carl Jung.  Or at least "brutality and innocence"--artifice may
be JM's addition.  (Or maybe it all sprang from her head independently . .  .)
In any case,  I have this vague notion from reading some Jung long ago that he
made a point similar to  that in the  TGS--that "the exhausted " or unhealthy
ones  tend to  retreat into a faux innocence or become brutal in their dealings
with other humans.

Of course there is Jung's familiar  quote that "sentimentality is a
superstructure erected upon brutality"   but I think  he was much more explicit
about the connection between brutality and innocence.  I've been meaning to
research this a bit-- I've  put "re-read Jung" on my to-do list, but somehow
haven't quite gotten to that  yet.    Perhaps there is a Jungian  jmdler  who
can illuminate this more.

Anyway--thanks for sharing that quote--wonder if this is a point of commonality
between Nietzsche and Jung?  I'll add my request for a learned  volunteer to
step forward.

Regards,
Catherine T.

NP: Rebecca Campbell, "Brand New Day"