In a rare move on my part, I went to see this movie the other day with an
area, (sorta), list member. I have a close friend who suffers from the same
problem, so the story line had a great deal of personal content for me.

Russell Crowe's acting was wonderful. The tics, the speech patterns, the
mannerisms; these were all perfect. Sadly, it was great acting within a
highly sanitized version of Nash's life.  It was like a Beef Wellington with
a superb piece filet mignon wrapped in a BisQuick crust. Or a great Stilton
served on Wonder Bread. Or a gruyere cheese omelet made with canned spinach.
I could go on but my stomach rumblings will wake the household and the
analogies have more of a bearing on my New Year's diet than the movie I'm
trying to write about!

I thought that the movie plodded in the first half, although there were some
marvelous camera techniques by Ron Howard to depict Nash's genius. I didn't
think that Howard adequately made us feel the spark and bond between the Mr.
and Mrs. and past that, the true trials of maintaining a relationship when
one partner suffers from a mental illness stayed unexplored.

Still, I was struck by how Howard portrayed the manifestation of Nash's
growing schizophrenia.  I've always been a fan or at least sympathetic to
alternate realities and you have to wonder at the medical world's instant
leap to squash 'em and drug 'em up. And if that fails, zap the heck outta
them.

And when the meds kick in, the alternative realities, (aka hallucinations),
go packing and the artist stops creating.  What happens next beyond getting
scruffy and watching your genius move farther and farther out of reach?

I think that this film does not begin to catch the true pain and horror of
paranoid schizophrenia. Nash comes off as an arrogant, albeit lovable quirky
kinda guy with a penchant for newsprint wallpaper and string art.  It doesn't
begin to capture the mean and vicious persona that emerges when paranoid
schizophrenia is in full bloom.  The family always has a home to live in,
Mrs. Nash always has a funky new pair of espadrilles to wear and his
colleagues just accept him for being a bit odd.

Still, even with these shortcomings, it's a powerful film. A day later and
I'm still thinking a lot about art and genius and what makes some of us go
tick..tock and others of us go ...ockt itck.

MG