Hi, guys,

I know what chords mean only in terms of the piano (i.e., if someone asks me
to play a Dm7 on the piano, I can do it pretty much without thinking), but
what does an "open" tuning on a guitar mean?  It seems to  mean more than
just "non-standard" -- if so, is there more than one "closed" way of tuning?
If someone says, e.g., "open D' tuning", does it mean you tune the strings to
play only, say D, F#, A and their octaves? Also, what does a "modal" tuning
mean?

Thanks for your patience;  it's just that although I sorta play the piano,
I've always been mystified by the guitar -- maybe because I think too
linearly.  A friend wayyyyyy back in college (around '74) showed me how to
play three chords (D, A7 and G, I think) so I could strum along with "Carey",
but I had a strong feeling I'd never develop the intuitional ease with guitar
that I had with the piano -- admittedly, I didn't try very hard.

On another topic -- I recently recived my copy of "Joni Mitchell anthology",
and I was wondering:  Who chooses the songs for these things?!  Some of the
choices were obvious -- they were the songs that "everyone knows" (Chelsea
Morning, Both Sides Now yadayadayada) -- but WHY would they put only one song
from FTR (!!!!) and one from Hejira (!!!!!), while they put in three from
DJRD (to my delight -- I love the album, but wasn't it less popular than
Hejira?) -- they skip Mingus altogether, and the anthology stops at WTRF --
and they included the title song, Chinese Cafe and Solid Love -- did they
just go on the basis of the singles that were released, or what?

But I'm happy enough -- it has "Jerico" (my favorite of all JMs) and "I don't
Know Where I Stand" (my second favorite).

Oh, one other thing (sorry, but I've been lurking for a while) -- I doubt
Joni writes the arrangements for piano that shows up in the various sheet
music books that come out -- but has anyone ever noticed that they
occasionally contain slight errors, and that these remain uncorrected for all
eternity -- once an arrangement comes out, it stays that way? (Sorry I can't
be more specific -- but I remember someone long ago pointing out that there
was a transcriptional error in Blonde In The Bleachers -- they were right,
I'd had that itchy feeling that something sounded not quite right in the
opening sequence of the song when I played it as written.  And in the
arrangement in the Anthology for IDKWIS, I'm pretty sure there are missing
chords, or that the arrangement is way oversimplified...)

When oh when will the two volume set of "all" of her songs come out that I've
heard rumors about?

Hugs all around and a Happy New Year,

Walt