On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:38:45 EST [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know what chords mean only in terms of the piano
> (i.e., if someone asks me to play a Dm7 on the piano,
> I can do it pretty much without thinking), but what does
> an "open" tuning on a guitar mean?  It seems to mean
> more than just "non-standard" -- if so, is there more than
> one "closed" way of tuning?

An open tuning is any tuning which is not standard.  Generally, an open
tuning is tuned to a chord and sounds nice by itself, although Jonatha
Brooke has one very weird tuning where she just tunes the bottom string down
to C# (C#ADGBE) (C#85545) and it sounds terrible by itself, but allows for
some nice bass notes with the chord progressions that she uses for the songs
in that tuning.

Standard tuning on the guitar is EADGBE (E55545).  The musical intervals
between all but the 3rd and 2nd strings are fourths - the interval between
the 3rd and 2nd strings is a major third.  This tuning, when strummed
without a chord shape, is not very beautiful by itself - it is not itself a
chord - but this tuning seems to provide the most possibilities for playing
any song in any key and for modulating between keys.  It is even possible
(but would be very difficult for the average guitarist) to play Joni's songs
with her chords (not the chord shapes, but the tones of her chords) from
standard tuning - I saw someone do this here in Vienna at a Joni tribute a
few years ago - he played a set of at least 15 of Joni's songs, including
Refuge Of The Roads, from standard tuning - sounded just like Joni's guitar!
It was very amazing.  Gerald Gradwohl - excellent guitarist.

> If someone says, e.g., "open D' tuning", does it mean you
> tune the strings to play only, say D, F#, A and their octaves?

yes, that is basically correct.  The actual tuning of "open D tuning" is
DADF#AD.  Sometimes an open tuning can be very simple - like tuning the E
bass string of the guitar down to D.  This is called drop-D.  If you then
tune the top E string down to D, you get a double-drop-D tuning.  Any time
that the tuning for the guitar is changed from standard, the chord shapes
have to be modifed so that you can still get beautiful sounds from the
guitar.  Once you've tuned the guitar into an open tuning, it seems to me -
in my experience - that the musical possibilities become more limited
because of the tuning.  While it is possible to find many chords that sound
more interesting/beautiful from an open tuning, it becomes difficult to
modulate to another key because the guitar strings have been fixed into the
key of the open tuning (whereas standard tuning is not fixed to any key).

> Also, what does a "modal" tuning mean?

I don't know.  There are instruments which are modal, like the dulcimer.
They are fretted such that it is not possible to play a complete chromatic
scale.  The guitar is not a modal instrument because each fret represents a
half step and chromatic scales are possible on every string.  I think "modal
tuning" must be just another term for open tuning.

Marian
Vienna