--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've always been curious about Bjork, and her new
> one had been discussed here
> several times lately, so I got Vespertine the other
> day.  I've listened to it
> several times, and so far, um, I don't get it.  It
> kinda reminds me (this is
> where I fear the flames) of Jane Siberry and/or
> Ricky Lee Jones *after*
> they'd kinda lost control of their stuff.

> I'd liked what I'd
> heard of Bjork in the past, but Vespertine almost
> puts me to sleep, and... I
> don't know, somehow Joni can experiment and get away
> with it (imho) but I
> don't think rlj and js and now Bjork have succeeded
> with too much freedom of
> structure.

Unfortunately I don't think I can do a very good job
of explaining *why* I like Bjork or Jane Siberry, but
I do, I do!  I appreciate they wouldn't be everyone's
cuppa tea - they're both kind of space cadets, but I
think of their music as alternating between loud and
exuberant (as in Bjork's "Army of me", a great song
for angry women! not exuberant, but loud and kind of
menacing!, or her version of "It's oh so quiet" (not
sure if that's the right name, but her voice goes from
a whisper to a shriek and I want to laugh every time I
hear this); or as in Jane Siberry's "The Speckless
Sky", probably one of the most joyous songs about just
being alive that I've heard) (it's taking a heckuva
long time to reach the last part of this sentence,
isn't it - jeez, don't you hate that?) and meditative
or trancelike, as in just about all of JS's "when I
was a boy" and "Vespertine".  You have to be in the
right mood to listen to that kind of stuff and you
have to kind of let it wash over you - otherwise, it
could be quite annoying!

Web-hosting solutions for home and business! http://website.yahoo.ca