I've wanted to post for a couple of days ... but then thought 'why be a
bummer, man.'  But you guys always have a kind word and are willing to
listen ...

Just a few very sad things have happened and it's not even the middle of
the month!  On the not-so-personal note, but still a teenage memory, did
anyone in 1973 watch a documentary on PBS called something like "The
 Louds:  An American Family"?  A camera crew followed the members of the
Loud family of Santa Barbara around with their cameras just observing.  I
don't remember how many weeks it ran, but it was fascinating to me, let's
see, then a high school junior.  The whole family was so interesting, but
one member of the family, a son named Lance, was a riot, gay as could be,
calling everyone "Honey," and just the life of the party.  I read in People
Magazine that he died recently at age 50 of Hepatitis C (I don't remember
how you contract that).  I just had a good memory of him, and I was sad to
learn this.  Kind of like one of those images of your teens shattered kind
of thing.

Then I learn that my brother-in-law's uncle (who is Admiral Chester
Nimitz's son; my brother-in-law is his grandson) at 86 years of age killed
himself and his wife because of their declining health.  They were members
of the Hemlock Society (an organization dedicated to having the right to
choose how you die, basically) and had talked about it for several years.
 Apparently they had a nice family party on New Year's Day and died the
following day.  The family had come to accept the notion, but I would still
think it was quite a shock to lose both parents in one day.

Today I get a note from an old family friend that my mother's closest
friend died last May (I sent them a Christmas card, not knowing).  My mom
died a few years ago and it was hard to see this lady at the memorial
service who had known Mom longer than all us kids.  This lady and my mom
traveled all around Europe together in the 40's, were college pals, and
kept up their friendship throughout their life.  We have pictures of them
in their beautiful hand-made wool suits looking so smart in Paris.  End of
an era.

One good note:  I have tickets to see Jonatha Brooke on January 31st at the
Belly Up Tavern, a great and fairly small venue.  Hope no one around me
minds me singing along to everything as I do in the car ... just kidding.
 I hate when people do that!

Please excuse the feeling sorry for myself ... I hope I haven't dragged
anyone down too much.  Just waiting for that good thing to happen to turn
this around  ... hey, don't bad things come in threes?  Maybe that's it!

Lindsay Moon