Fred,

First kudos for your submission on the Homeland jazz album to benefit the
victims of 9/11.  It sounds like a stupendous compilation and I rushed to
order it.

As for the top ten, I am ashamed to admit that this has not been my year to
keep up on new music, but of course you happened to mention one of my top
faves:

> Kurt Elling - FLIRTING WITH TWILIGHT (disclosure: I wrote a song on this
> album, but I'd include it even if I hadn't)

I also recently became acquainted with Elling's first album "Close Your
Eyes" and fell madly in love with it.  Also saw that the liner notes
mentioned a thanks to "Fred S." ;-)

Other memorable albums which I loved in 2001 were:

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks "Beatin' the Heat" with appearances by Tom
Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, Bette Midler, Elvis Costello and Brian Setzer

Laura Nyro "Angel in the Dark"

Rickie Lee Jones "Pop Pop" (this is an older one but for me my very
favorite)

"Bootlegs":

Received many amazing ones from JMDLer friends this year particularly:

Simon & Garfunkel Live at the Hollywood Bowl August 1968 (INCREDIBLE)

Shawn Colvin - NPR live appearances 1975

Laura Nyro - 3 different live performances from possibly the 80s and early
90s that I'm still researching - these are beyond amazing.

And....the Jonifest 2001 compilation is absolutely extraordinary!!
Professionally recorded, it includes overwhemingly gorgeous performances
from many.  For those who haven't heard it, you should bug Paz and Bob for a
copy!! ;-)

Kakki